November 19, 2011

The Bath Tub

Yesterday afternoon, as I was sitting down to read a PDF book called "Abortion" by R.C. Sproul, (which I will shortly write a review for), Mommy came in and asked if I would scrub the tub in her bathroom. 
Frankly, I did not want to. I wanted to read, and sadly, that is what I chose to do. Thank the Lord though that He did not leave me in my sin. (Slow obedience is no obedience, and I knew I was wrong). It was not long before my conscience started to bug me. I am sure that some of you have experienced it's pricks. 
I couldn't concentrate on my book. So to the cupboard I went for the bleach.
As I looked at the bath tub, it didn't seem to be all that dirty, the grout was a little moldy in spots, but the bleach wouldn't fix that. Why would Mommy want me to clean something that already looked clean?
I felt like putting the bleach away and going back to my book. After all, the tub was clean wasn't it? I didn't though, and soon I was on my hands and knees scrubbing. Thats when I saw a smudge on the wall above me. So I scrubbed that, but next to it was another one. Taking a step back I looked at the tub that had looked clean to me a minute before, and do you know what? It was dirty! Twenty minutes latter, the bath tub was sparkling clean. A thought suddenly hit me. 
How often do I do the same thing with my heart. Every morning when I have my 'quiet time' with God, I think over the day before, and try to remember the things I messed up on so as not to do them again. But just like I couldn't see the dirt in the tub at first, I cannot always see my sin. It blends in. I think that I am doing alright because I am not so cross as my sister or brother. But if I have lost sight of the greatness of God's holiness and perfection. Even though I might be 'better' than my siblings, I am not as good as God.
In 1 Peter 1:15 we are called to be holy because God is holy. If perfection (sparkly clean) is the standard, I do not measure up, just like the bathtub didn't when I compared a truly clean spot with everything else.
As christians we need to strive to be like Christ. We are not told to make sure we are better that everyone we know. We are told to be holy like GOD!
Think about that. It is not easy to grasp.  I am not for one second pretending to know all about it. It is the Word that renews our mind, (Romans 12:1-3) and it is the renewing of our mind that makes us holy.
Let's strive for that this next week.

(I just wanted to let you know that we are going out of town for Thanksgiving, a probably wont be back for a week, so you wont be seen any posts till our return. :)

In Christ,

No comments:

Post a Comment